Posted by Dave Bull at 7:20 PM, February 21, 2013 [Permalink]
I've managed to snatch a few hours here and there to work on the new workroom next door, and can report that the floor is (almost) done ...
Once I had the little joists all in place and levelled as best I could, I began to put the other pieces in place. I'm using fiberglass batts for the insulation (they fluff out to fill the space completely). These are covered with a vapour barrier sheet, and the plywood sub-floor goes on top of that:
I worked across the room in stages, keeping a place to walk free at all times, and eventually got to the other end:
And it's now all in place, except for one corner, where I ran out of plywood. (I've got another sheet ordered to arrive along with the next batch of supplies next week.)
Next step will be to work on the insulation for the windows. That huge width of (very thin) glass is a huge energy sink of course, and something has to be done about it. I can't possibly afford to have the whole array done in double-panes, so I'm building a series of frames. Each one is covered with a transparent polycarbonate sheet on the front, and contains eight layers of clear bubble wrap inside.
Here's the first sample unit in place; seems to work OK ...
Ten of these frames in a row should do the job for us, I hope! When summer arrives, they will all stack neatly in the empty space at the far end of the new workroom (visible in the second photo above).
Tsushima-san was printing today while I got the first sample door set up.
She and the other ladies are looking forward to moving into this wide open airy space ... Not quite sure just when that will be possible; there is still a lot of work to do (ceiling, walls, electricity, etc. ...)
Added by: davej on February 26, 2013 3:28 AM
wow, looking great! like that japanese plywood...easy to work with and very uniform quality...keep it movin'
Add Your Input